Web design and development process
How we organize ourselves
- Use of centralized project management and workflow management system
- Version control system
- Bug tracking system
- Backup mechanism
- Single point contact
We have always been delivery oriented rather than process oriented. Frankly, we have not entangled ourselves in complex processes and how much ever tempting, we have successfully avoided writing complex process stuff here on website. However, Signy’s web development team is a disciplined unit who does the right things to deliver the web development projects with required efficiency and effectiveness. The deliverables mentioned below reasonably elaborate the process that we follow:
You can expect following deliverables from us
- Development plan
- Architecture diagram
- Test cases
- Status reports at adequate frequency
- Demos at adequate frequency
- End product, application source code and deployment
- Support document/s
- Training, in case required
- QA report
Throughout the project duration and at times after completion also, we like to ensure:
- Quick response times
- Availability of all relevant team members for you, including technical project lead, project manager, QA lead and account manager. If you like single point of contact, it is even easier for us too.
Web design process
The best effective website design is one which successfully promotes a unique web identity for your business. To establish and expand your business online you need to design your site such that it highlights your products and services in the right manner, to the right category of customers.
At Signy, we strive to provide comprehensive website design services based on clients unique business nature and requirements. Our team of expert designers will work with you to design a highly appealing, unique, original website which improves your online visibility and sets you apart from your competitors.
The process of building a successful online business, or expanding an existing business to the web, involves planning, execution, and persistence. Signy can help you ensure the success of your web project by:
- In depth understanding of your and user requirements
- Establishing realistic expectations, achievable milestones, and clear goals from the get-go
- Sticking to our budget proposals and deadline requirements
- Taking a vested interest in your success
To achieve the same we follow the User Centered Design Methodology (Usability) at work. This makes sure that all our products are easy to use by the end users and provide a greater Return On Investment to the owners. This process ensures a richer user experience and also a smoother development workflow. It ensures development with minimal rework. The design process is as follows:
Our process begins with receiving appropriate inputs from the client as to what are the client specifications, any branding to be done, who is the Target Audience, the Deliverables etc. This includes the questionnaire that will have some basic questions that the designer thinks of, before he starts working on any of the design. (A separate link will be provided for the questionnaire). Everything related to the new design, re-design, applications will be received through the questionnaire which is convenient to the designer and the client both. Logo, images punch lines can be uploaded through the questionnaire, which the designers will fetch while working on the project.
Your structured content is polished for the user with typography, images, illustrations, icons & color schemes. The designer uses his creativity and comes up with two great design concepts which we create based on your inputs – desired colors, style, sample sites and overall vision as communicated to us.
The designer keeps following major and important points in mind while designing:
- The website should inform the customers about the kind of services provided by the company.
- Whether the site will require frequent information updates.(CMS-Content Management System)
- The budget of the particular company.
- The needs and tastes of the targeted audience.
- Whether the company will depend on search engines to optimize it’s sales, etc
To review the Mockups, a link will be provided to you from which client will select the design. Eg: http://clients.signyit.com/company-name/
Once the design concept is decided and finalized by the client, we will begin with rounds of revisions to customize it to your needs. These revisions will include image changes, color changes, section headings, etc. These changes will then be sent to the client for approval. Further on approving the design, inner page will be designed. Here the design will be based on the link structure. New script implementation, new functionality, quick links will be taken care of while designing.
Inner page approval
The inner page once designed will be approved from the client. If any changes in the page design it should be informed likewise so that there is no re-work on the design once it is started with the HTML version. The page sent for approval will be in the .jpg format. (Will be an image) No functionality (script implementation) will be done at this stage unless specified or mentioned in the Scope of Work Document.
The entire development goes through various levels of expert reviews which ensure better usability.
Web design and development – processes and standards
Once the mockup and design is approved, the same will be converted into HTML. And further, to the population of inner pages according to the content. Content will not be edited from our team unless decided and specified. Formatting of the content will be done in such a way that the content will be readable and it will attract the user to read more in a single look. Number of pages will decide the date of delivery of the HTML version. While converting into HTML the latest technologies and standards will be taken care of. The page, site, css will be validated with W3 compliance. HTML version will be of two types:
• HTML (Table Layouts)
• XHTML (CSS based div layouts developed according to Web 2.0)
The conversion type should be pre specified. In HTML we will have new functionality, script implementation. If the client expects any specific script or effect the url (link) of the respective site should be provided and the same should be mentioned in the Questionnaire document. Once done a link will be sent to the client for final approval. Eg:http://clients.signyit.com/company-name/html
Once the site is designed, we will make sure that it is tested properly for spelling mistakes to broken links if any. We test the site on different browsers like different versions of IE along with Mozilla, chrome and Safari. We also suggest load testing if required.
If the hosting server is different other than Signy, server permissions like SSI support and any other like PHP/MySQL support if required should be enabled. Once confirmed with all the permissions, the site will be uploaded to the live server and re-tested.
The term “Web Standards” can mean different things to different people. For some it is ‘table-free sites’, for others it is ‘using valid code’. However, “web standards” is a much broader term than this. A site built to web standards should adhere to standards (HTML, XHTML, XML, CSS, etc) and pursue best practices (valid code, accessible code, correct code, user-friendly URLs etc). Here at Signy we build a site that is w3 standards compatible. To us, a site built to web standards is ideally be lean, clean, CSS-based, accessible, usable and search engine friendly. Under this we cover a small checklist:
- Quality of code – Our coding style is according to the new technology.
- Broken links – You will find 0 broken links.
- Valid (X)HTML – It will be a pure DIV based CSS Optimized layout. (if specified so in the Scope of Doc) • Valid CSS – The CSS will be validated and with no errors.
- Page Rendering/Downloading size – The downloading time will be minimum.(Within 15-18 secs)
- Degree of separation between content and presentation – Content Presentation will be appropriate. • Accessibility for users – No problem with the dropdown menus, forms, “alt” attributes, etc.
- Accessibility for devices – the site will be compatible for range of browser window sizes.
- Basic Usability – search tool, link to the home page on every page will be default provided.
- Search engine optimization (SEO) – Relevant meta tags, keywords, description to be added to increase the hits.
The css is a very important part of HTML conversion. The css levels are defined and accordingly we use them as per the requirement of the layout design. Mostly CSS level 3 is in use which is according to the WEB 2.0 Trend highly demanded in today’s web world. Using contextual selectors instead of classes, keeping CSS documents lean and mean, using shorthand CSS, etc are the standards that we follow in Signy.
CSS Validation – The css for all the sites is mostly validated and found with no errors.
CSS Optimization – The css code and the document is optimized which helps to load faster and effects the page downloading time likewise.
Most of the sites designed and developed are XHTML based. Using this technology wont have any change in the look and feel but the site will be web 2.0 based. Rendering time, downloading time, etc will be taken into consideration while developing XHTML site. In case of any further additions to the site it becomes easy through XHTML. There are certain standards to follow while using DIV or XHTML layouts. The code should be clean. The tags should be nested properly at appropriate places, etc.
Code optimization and image optimization is the first and the foremost important thing that comes into practice when converting into HTML. This is done by using Optimizer and tools like Photoshop, tablets, HTML, Illustrator. By using CSS shorthand the CSS file is optimized by merely 40-50%. Using DIV also optimizes the document to some extent. Optimization is necessary as page rendering time depends on optimization.
We have various types for Testing Methods like:
- Basic – Includes spell check, alignment, alt/title tags, broken links, linking, etc
- Cross Browser – the site is tested on all browsers and on all resolutions.
- Functional Testing – This will include the testing of new functionality, forms, email, etc.
Once tested the site is ready to go live.
We keenly work towards
- Bug-free delivery as per the expectations
- On time (if not before) as per the expectations
- Value adds to exceed the expectations
- Fair deal of flexibility
We understand that efficiently delivered project is our need for profitability.